I like my books like my coffee : Hot and Dark.

My reviews might contain heavy spoilers! Read at your very own risk.

2016/10/21



For Virginia Traylor, Countess of Barrett, marriage was merely the vehicle to buy her father a title. Widowhood, however, brings a host of problems. For her husband deliberately spent the money intended for Virginia and her in-laws, leaving them penniless—unless she produces an heir. Desperate and confused, Virginia embarks on a fateful journey that brings her to the doorstep of the only man she's ever loved...

He's known as The Devil, but Macrath Sinclair doesn't care. He moved to a tiny Scottish village in hopes of continuing his work as an inventor and starting a family of his own. He bought the house; he chose the woman. Unfortunately, Virginia didn't choose him. Macrath knows he should turn her away now, but she needs him, and he wants her more than ever. Whatever game Virginia's playing, Macrath intends to win—one wickedly seductive deed at a time...



I have an odd déjà vu feeling with this one. The plot of this book seems oddly familiar to me. It might be because I  may have :

a ) read another book with similar story line
b ) I started reading this book a while back but got bored and gave up on it.

Now b) is unlikely to happen as I never drop a book , no matter how boring it is I force myself in reading it until I'm done. Also I came across this book on Amazon and simply purchased it out of curiosity- I didn't had it on my to-read list on GR.

Now to get to the point.
Don't you just love an unnecessary conflict that could have been resolved in five minutes ? All they had to do was to COMMUNICATE . Virginia is forced to marry a man she didn't loved, however, her husband was very ill and died shortly after. Now Virginia is desperate to find a way to save her family (and by "family" I mean her mother-in-law and the rest of the relatives of the defunct husband). During her short marriage she never stopped thinking about Macrath , a Scottish (rich) inventor who made all the needed preparations for them to start a happy life together.
To explain more detailed : Virginia and her husband were unable to conceive a child during their marriage, so without an official heir all of their wealth goes out the window (her husband's cousin inherited the title) , forcing Virginia to either work (so she can support herself and the rest of the women in the family) or marry a rich guy.
You can easily guess what Virginia did.
Of course she went to Scotland to find Macrath, her true love and sweetheart.  Macrath never understood why Virginia got married to another guy and soon he will find out how miserable her marriage truly was. Virginia's father played both of them. Sure, now they try to get over their prides and they try to fix whatever can be fixed, their relationship goes back and forth because the lack of communication. And they are not being completely  truthful either.
The characters of this story are overly dramatic, you either love them or you hate them.
I personally hate Virginia.
 I understood how tragic it was for her , being forced  to marry a man she didn't love and all that; but I never understood why the hell she tried to get pregnant  with a child so she could pass him off as her husband's and inherit the wealth.
Yep, that is what our heroine did. She went to Scotland to seduce her childhood sweetheart , get pregnant and then leave Macrath . Which she did. Had Macrath' son. And left Macrtah all by himself while she returned home and made everyone believe that the boy is her late husbands.
Seriously now, I'm so pissed off on this book ! This girl has no backbone and please, please don't talk to me about true love !!I can't wrap my head around her way of thinking. Her husband was death. She was young and  finally free to marry her sweetheart - who was RICH enough to support her and her family - but she ended up backstabbing him.
The only thing that I enjoyed in this book was Macrath's revenge over Virginia.




0 Comments:

Trimiteți un comentariu

Follow on Twitter

Popular Posts

Search on blog

Un produs Blogger.

WARNING !

REVIEWS AND THOUGHTS POSTED HERE MIGHT CONTAIN (HEAVY) SPOILERS ! READ AT YOUR VERY OWN RISK !